Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Policegirl

Policegirl

OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Empty
PostSubject: OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?   OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm thinking of making a fighter with O2WF as my focus, is there any merit in this, and does anyone have any ideas on how I should start off? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Grishnack

Grishnack

Location : Most people prefer the biblical name of Hell but we call it pasadena TX

PostSubject: Re: OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?   OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:31 pm

My toon thervain has it, it is only worth it if you actually plan on using two weapons of medium make. I have personally found it usefull (like wielding 2 of the clubs you get from delera's tomb.) and you have to keep in mind, 90% of the time medium weapons do more dmg so essentially overall more dmg for you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Policegirl

Policegirl

PostSubject: Re: OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?   OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 12:27 am

i was thinking of using 2 bastard swords, if i tok the exotic prof, would that work, or no? that would be the only weapon i used, or would 2 dwarven axes be good since i am a dwarf?
Back to top Go down
Jesebelle

Jesebelle

PostSubject: Re: OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?   OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 am

First of all, using two heavy weapons does more damage than a heavy and a light; so being worth it is simply dependent on what you want out of it. If you're going to be strength based, using two heavy weapons is pretty much expected.

As for the feat itself, it's dependent on how feat starved you are, and how high you can get your attack bonus otherwise. As a fighter, you definitely have enough feats to make taking the feat more than worth it.

ifumoveudie wrote:
i was thinking of using 2 bastard swords, if i tok the exotic prof, would that work, or no? that would be the only weapon i used, or would 2 dwarven axes be good since i am a dwarf?

Let me say right off the bat that the #1 thing you need to consider is what you want. If you want to use bastard swords, go ahead and use them. That being said, the numbers tend to frown upon bastard swords. The highest 1h damage weapon in the game is the khopesh. Let me digress, and show you the math. I'm assuming you'll be a kensei III.

I'm going to show you the formula to find the average swing damage of any weapon. This is of course assuming 0% fort, and that you can confirm your crits.

A= average damage per hit
B= base damage. This is the weapon's damage + your bonus damage. If you have a +20, then a longsword does 24.5 base damage.
C= critical threat chance
M= critical multiplier
E= enhancement damage (e.g. flaming or holy)
c= bonus critical damage (e.g. from seeker, or kensei)

The formula is then:

A=B+E+BC(M-1)+cC(M-1)

So imagine you have a +30 to damage. Ignoring kensei damage, a flaming khopesh's damage would be:
A= 34.5+3.5+34.5*0.25*2
A= 55.25

A flaming dwarven axe would be:
A=37.5+3.5+37.5*0.15*2
A=52.25

In fact, the bonus damage from kensei would actually favor the khopesh, skewing the damage difference further in favor of khopeshes. Just to see...

A flaming bastard sword:
A=35.5+3.5+35.5*0.25*1
A=47.875

It should also be noted that the higher your +damage and c are, the more C and M matter. This means that the higher your +damage is, the more A weighs in favor of a higher crit range/multiplier.

As an example, a greatsword does more damage than a falchion until you have +40. At +40, a greatsword does the same damage as a falchion. At +41, the falchion damage becomes better than the greatsword damage. Why? Because at lower +damage numbers, the greatsword's superior base damage is more important than the falchion's increased threat range.

So, with all of that understood, it now lies upon you to decide what weapon you want to use.
Back to top Go down
Jesebelle

Jesebelle

PostSubject: Re: OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?   OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 1:26 am

Also, I just want to mention that a 19-20 x2 is the same damage as a 20 x3. Just to see quickly, imagine a sword vs. axe with +30, and 4.5 weapon damage, and improved crit.

The sword is:
34.5+34.5*.2*1=41.4

The axe is:
34.5+34.5*.1*2=41.4

As you can likely see, the reason is that 0.1*2 is the same as 0.2*1. What this shows us is that if you weren't a dwarf, it would be irrelevant whether you used a DA or a bastard sword, since they are both 1d10. The reason DA is better is because of the +2 you get for being a dwarf.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that being a Kensei changes things as well. For a non-kensei, axe and sword are the same. For a dwarf, axes will do a +2. Kensei changes the crit numbers; hence the difference.

Last edited by Jesebelle on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jesebelle

Jesebelle

PostSubject: Re: OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?   OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 1:42 am

Also, if you want a reference, you can take a look at a few of my twf builds.

Khopesh Kensei
Pick Kensei
Khopesh Paladin
Back to top Go down
Policegirl

Policegirl

PostSubject: Re: OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?   OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 3:03 am

ok, that gives me a lot to think of, i thought the bastard would be the best choice, but ill go with khopesh. thanks jes, you ve been a big help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?   OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OversizedTwoWeaponFighter build, is it worth it?
Page 1 of 1